Monday, March 10, 2008

Hey There Delilah, Chapter 7: Part II

Previously:
With my eyes fixed on Leila, I slowly opened the package. I had no idea what it could be. As I pulled off the last bit of paper, though, I found out.

Laying in my hands was what appeared to be a notebook...I least I think that's what it was. It was a medium sized book, about as tall and wide as a Harry Potter book, maybe a little bit bigger. There were a lot of pages bound into that litle book. I'd have to guess around 500. The outside of the journal looked like it might have once been a composition notebook, but it wasn't anymore. Leila had wrapped the outside in the most special wrapping paper I'd ever seen! The only way I can describe it is that it looked like an artist had taken five different paintbrushes and twenty different colors and whipped the brushes at the paper. It made a beautiful spiral pattern with all of the colors winding in and out of each other. On the spine of the book was written Happiness in swirly-curly handwriting. When I flipped the inside open, the cover had a name plate that said:
"Happiness is the only true color, the rest are just shades of joy."
Underneath this was my name, in the same twirly handwriting that was on the spine.
"Do you like it?" Leila said softly.
"Oh yes!" I breathed. "Very much!"
"Now, I must tell you that this book is for a very specific reason. As you've probably guessed by now, it is a journal. You can write whatever you want in it and no one has to know what it says...except for one." I looked up at her with a questioning look in my eyes.
"Who?" I asked.
"Delilah." Utter silence fell onto us like a thick woolen blanket, itchy and slightly irratating.
"Excuse me?" I squeaked.
"Yes, Delilah. I want you to write to her. You can still write whatever you would like, but it has to be to Delilah." I could already feel the tears welling up in my eyes. Don't cry! Don't cry! a tiny voice shouted from within me.
"I-I-I can't!"
"Maybe you don't think you can just yet, but you will. You will."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great job!!!!!!! This is a really good story! Keep writing...