Wednesday, April 23, 2008

NEW WEEKLY STORY!!!

This is The Weekly Harold's newest weekly story(!) WITH A TWIST: I DIDN'T WRITE IT! One of my ultimate bloggita's did.
Enjoy!
(Visit the author's blog at: squibandskink.blogspot.com)




I walked into our loft apartment. My mom and mine, just ours.
You might be wondering what happened to my dad. And I'm just going to say: I'm not sure. No lies. I'm totally serious. Mom never really told me. She's really good at changing the subject and whenever it was brought up…it just left naturally. I tend not to ask anymore.
But anyways, I set my backpack down on shiny black counter top along with my i-pod and my Snapple Iced Tea.
I peeked around the corner checking for mom and walked into our living room. An organized, regular, little room with a couch and a small, old beaten up leather love seat, a small rectangular plasma screen TV and a mossy carpet with flowers.
I plopped down on the couch grabbing the remote and turning on the TV. Nothing was good on. Just the usual re-runs of Full House, Oprah and America's Next Top Model. The TV flicked off, and I sighed.
Next on the agenda was homework. I made my way over to the counter. I un-zippered by back pack and lugged out my heavy, junk filled Calculus 1 binder. Calculus with Mr. Reynolds was so boring. Half the class fell asleep on a regular basis and none of knew how to solve the equations but he didn't seem to notice. Surprisingly I passed that class.

I pulled out my math text book and a piece of lined paper and began to calculate.
Minutes later I heard the door open and my mom gabbing away on the phone.
"Not tomorrow, Selina has a doctor's appointment first thing! Then I've got to go show a house and grocery shop. I'm real busy! Selina also has a basketball game in the evening and I've got to balance my check book. I'm sorry Carolyn; you'll have to do it…" My mom had her cell phone balanced between her chin and her shoulder while she was carrying a shopping bag and a grocery bag.
One thing you have to know about my mom is that she is absolutely gorgeous. She has long black hair and tan skin and the warmest, chocolate brown eyes. She's stunning, and this is just coming from her daughter. She has the best sense of style and the nicest manners. I love my mom. We're both Hispanic and Philippines.
Around here in Arizona my mom worked as a real estate agent. She was perfect for the job; she had the radiance and the cheeriness to sell homes. The only problem was organization…but with me organizing she got along fine.

"Sorry! I've got to go!" my mom said cheerily flipping her hair that was slightly curled, "Talk to you soon. Send my love to the boys!"
She set the bags down the counter and sighed.
"That was your Aunt Carolyn!" my mom smiled sighing her elbows on the counter. My aunt lived in New Jersey, a long way away from Arizona where I lived.
"I figured." I replied.
"Need any help unloading groceries?"
"I got it. You get started on that homework Selina. You've got basketball tonight."
"I forgot." I mumbled.
My mom set down her keys with a loud clank and narrowed her eyes noticing I was looking back at her, "Get to work Selina!"
"Ugh." I replied focusing on Calculus once more. I heard by mom ruffling bags and placing things in the fridge.
The phone rang and my mom hurried to get it. I watched her black hair bounce.
"Hello?" she said calmly.
"Oh my god!" my mom exclaimed, her hand flew to her forehead, "John? Is that you?"
"Mom who is it?" I asked.
No answer.
"Mom?"
No reply. I gave up.
"Honey?" I looked up holding my pencil, tapping it impatiently on my home work.
"Yeah?"
I nodded looking at her, concerned.
"It's your father."
I dropped the pencil, and I’m pretty sure my jaw dropped too.

No comments: